Child & Youth Friendly Saskatoon, under the name Child Friendly Saskatoon, began as an initiative of Saskatoon Communities for Children. It has been working since 1997 to give emphasis and priority to the value of children and youth in our community by promoting an ethic of child-friendliness in the community. It is a non-profit organization that seeks to improve the quality of life for all children and youth by raising the level of awareness of the benefits of a child and youth friendly city among members of the Community of Saskatoon and district.
The mission of Child & Youth Friendly Saskatoon is to foster and promote a child & youth friendly community where:
- All young people are safe, secure, honoured, nurtured, and valued; and
- To create responsible citizens by teaching children and youth to take deeper ownership of their community through active decision-making and service-based training.
Goals & Objectives
- To create an awareness of the child and youth friendly ethic throughout the Saskatoon region and encourage responsibility for young people in all citizens.
- To facilitate the integration of the child and youth friendly ethic into the planning processes of education, government, business, industry and community organizations.
- To enrich the lives of young people through a deeper consideration of their particular needs, intelligence and abilities.
- To create responsible citizens by teaching children and youth to take a deeper ownership of their community through active decision making.
- To involve educators, community groups, aboriginal and other cultural group representatives, business, industry and government in the planning and implementation of specific child and youth friendly projects.